"Environmentally conscious entrepreneurship has several advantages, investment pays for itself"
Ferry Breugem, senior sales manager
As sellers of green, garden centres are the ambassadors for nature and therefore sustainability. There are many reasons for building sustainably. Environmentally conscious entrepreneurship is good, not only for the environment, but also for your image and for your wallet. You can earn back most adjustments.
Reasons to build sustainably:
- Saving on operational costs, such as energy costs;
- Subsidy schemes, such as the ISDE (investment subsidy for business users), the MIA (environmental investment deduction), SDA + (subsidy for solar panels) and the Energy Investment Deduction for the installation of LED lighting
- PR - good for the image
The options for sustainable construction and renovation:
- Use insulated roof and wall cladding, such as:
- well-insulated roof and facade panels (transparent and non-transparent);
- green roofs such as sedum as insulation;
- well-insulated aluminium profiles with an extremely high U-value.
- Invest in special glass. The U-value of insulating glass is getting lower and therefore easier to keep the interior space at a constant temperature, such as:
- Well insulated safety glass,
- glass that can generate energy through a special coating;
- Heat resistant glass - a coating gives you the feeling that you are walking in the shade, but when you look up, it is completely transparent. This keeps heat out, which also gives you a more pleasant climate in summer.
- Water reuse systems using rainwater to water plants and / or to flush the toilets.
Sustainable investment in existing garden centre
There are also many options for making an existing garden centre more sustainable, such as:
- LED lighting - more economical in energy consumption;
- Climate screens control temperature, UV radiation, humidity to reduce energy costs;
- Solar panels - to generate energy.
Or more economical cooling and heating:
- HR boilers
- heat pumps
- heat and cold storage
For half a century your reliable partner for high-profile projects
Read our latest news here:
Also collaboration with French Hortère Conseil
After our recent collaboration with Ebtech Glasshouse Systems Ltd., we now also joined forces with Hortère Conseil in France. This collaboration ensures a better, continuous, faster realisation of our services to the French market, whilst still providing the Smiemans technology, experience, and expertise.
Opening Plantorama Tilst & Horsholm
In one weekend, the successful Plantorama chain has opened two new garden centres which will bring them to a total of 13 locations. On March 26, Denmark's largest garden centre was opened in Tilst and the day after the establishment in Hørsholm. We are proud that we have been able to realize these sustainable projects.
Completion in sight nominated glasshouse at botanical garden Flora
We are working hard at the special 3,000m2 project in the famous botanical garden in Cologne. Most of the glass has been placed in the ultra-modern glass roof of this progressive project. So special that it has a chance to win the price for the BTTV 2021 of Zinkinfo Benelux.
How can we help you in terms of sustainability?
As 'Knowledge Based Builder' we build:
- Biophilic constructions
- Multifunctional glasshouses
- Climate proof constructions
- Sustainable glasshouses