"Environmentally conscious entrepreneurship has several advantages, investment pays for itself"
Ferry Breugem, senior sales manager
As sellers of green, garden centres are the ambassadors for nature and therefore sustainability. There are many reasons for building sustainably. Environmentally conscious entrepreneurship is good, not only for the environment, but also for your image and for your wallet. You can earn back most adjustments.
Reasons to build sustainably:
- Saving on operational costs, such as energy costs;
- Subsidy schemes, such as the ISDE (investment subsidy for business users), the MIA (environmental investment deduction), SDA + (subsidy for solar panels) and the Energy Investment Deduction for the installation of LED lighting;
- PR - good for the image of your brand / company.
The options for sustainable construction and renovation:
- Use insulated roof and wall cladding, such as:
- well-insulated roof and facade panels (transparent and non-transparent);
- green roofs such as sedum as insulation;
- well-insulated aluminium profiles with an extremely high U-value.
- Invest in special glass. The U-value of insulating glass is getting lower and therefore easier to keep the interior space at a constant temperature, such as:
- Well insulated safety glass,
- glass that can generate energy through a special coating;
- Heat resistant glass - a coating gives you the feeling that you are walking in the shade, but when you look up, it is completely transparent. This keeps heat out, which also gives you a more pleasant climate in summer.
- Water reuse systems using rainwater to water plants and / or to flush the toilets.
Sustainable investment in existing garden centre
There are also many options for making an existing garden centre more sustainable, such as:
- LED lighting - more economical in energy consumption;
- Climate screens control temperature, UV radiation, humidity to reduce energy costs;
- Solar panels - to generate energy.
Or more economical cooling and heating:
- HR boilers
- heat pumps
- heat and cold storage
For half a century your reliable partner for high-profile projects
Read our latest news here:
Realisation rooftop glasshouse for restaurant
A rooftop glasshouse will be built by us at the CHV Noordkade in Veghel (NL), a 1915 factory site that has become a vibrant centre for art, culture, food and leisure. This insulated structure will house a scenic restaurant. Completion is scheduled for early 2024.
Integration of Roll-Air Retail in Turn-Key Projects
After a number of successful turnkey garden centres, Smiemans and Rovero are teaming up to offer even more complete innovative garden centre projects! With the Roll-Air Retail integrated, the season for outdoor sales is extended and space is optimised for plants, customers and staff.
Renovation garden centre RHS Garden Harlow Carr
Recently, we have been commissioned by the RHS to renovate the garden centre that Smiemans built in 2004. This glasshouse for selling plants is located at the beautiful botanical garden 'RHS Garden Harlow Carr' in Harrogate (UK). It will be carried out by our local partner Ebtech Glasshouse Systems Ltd in the spring.
Another award for rooftop greenhouse Agrotopia, this time the BTTV
Once again Agrotopia has won a prestigious award. This time the first prize of the Benelux Trophy for Hot-dip Galvanisation in the Aesthetic Galvanisation category. Since its opening, the roof greenhouse has won several design awards, such as the WAF and the Belgian Construction Award.
How can we help you in terms of sustainability?
As 'Knowledge Based Builder' we build:
- Biophilic constructions
- Multifunctional glasshouses
- Climate proof constructions
- Sustainable glasshouses